2018 sees 90 years since Portishead Radio came into being. In 1928 the transmitter site at Devizes was moved to Portishead, near Bristol, with the existing Burnham Radio station being extended into the receiving and operational centre.
To mark this anniversary, many events are being planned which will be publicized on this page.
Ex-staff members will be advised via e-mail or via the GKA Facebook Page.
Special amateur radio event with 3 ex-GKA Radio Officers operating with special celebratory callsigns.
GB0GKA - TONY/G3ZRJ (4th July-31st July)
GB0GKB - LARRY/G4HLN (1st July-28th July)
GB0GKC - PETE/G3TJE (1st July-28th July)
Stations will be predominantly W/T but some R/T will be used from time to time.
Most operation will be on the HF bands but some 6m and 2m work may take place.
The grand GKA Reunion at the Ritz Social Cklub, Burnham-on-Sea. Over 100 ex-staff will be in attendance.
- Celebratory articles in the local and regional press
- Talks to local history groups and radio societies about the history of GKA
- Possible local exhibition of GKA memorabilia
- Memorial plaque for GKA to be erected on the former site of the Highbridge receiving station
- Commemorative merchandise