COAST RADIO STATIONS

This page is not intended to give a comprehensive history of the short/medium range service but brief details are included. 


A comprehensive history of the Coast Radio Station service can be found by reading "Watchers of the Waves" written by ex-GKA, GNI and GPK Radio Officer, Brian Faulkner. Sadly this publication is out of print but copies do appear on the second-hand market from time to time.


For further information the following websites are recommended:


http://www.coastalradio.org.uk


http://www.maritimeradio.pro

LAND'S END RADIO/GLD

1901 - Opened as Lizard Radio by the Marconi Company.


1909 - Transferred to the GPO.


1913 - Closed and reopened as Lands End Radio on 500 kHz and 1 MHz.


1937 - Opened on 2 MHz.


1951 - Opened on 1.6 MHz.


1959 - Opened on VHF.


1979 - Controlled from Skewjack.


1997 - 500 kHz watch closed on 31 December.


2000 - Station closed on 30 June.

NITON RADIO/GNI

1901 - Opened by the Marconi Company.


1909 - Transferred to the GPO.


1911 - Opened as GNI.


1913 - Opened on 1 MHz.


1915 - Opened on 500 kHz and 1 MHz.


1935 - Opened on 2 MHz.


1951 - Opened on 1.6 MHz.


1959 - Opened on VHF.


1987 - Closed on 500 kHz.


1992 - Re-opened on 500 kHz.


1997 - WT and MF RT services ceased.


NAVTEX services area still operational, operated by the MCA.

NORTH FORELAND RADIO/GNF

1901 - Opened by the Marconi Company.


1909 - Transferred to the GPO.


1913 - Opened on 1 MHz.


1915 - Opened on 500 kHz and 1 MHz.


1937 - Opened on 2 MHz.


1951 - Opened on 1.6 MHz.


1958 - Opened on VHF.


1992 - Closed on 500 kHz.


1992 - 2 MHz controlled from GLD.


1992 - VHF controlled from GNI.

HUMBER RADIO/GKZ

1927 - Opened as GKZ on 500 kHz and RT on 1500 kHz and 1364 KhZ (successor to Grimsby Radio).


1927 - Took over D/F from Flamborough.


1937 - R/T service for telephone subscribers direct to ships.


1951 - Opened on 1.6 MHz.


1959 - Opened on VHF.


1965 - Opened on RTTY and SSB for OIl Rigs in the North Sea.


1987 - Closed on 500 KhZ.


2000 - Station closed on 30 June.


CULLERCOATS RADIO/GCC

1913 - Opened as GCC on 500 kHz.


1915 - Opened on 500 kHz and 1 MHz.


1935 - Opened on 2 MHz.


1951 - Opened on 1.6 MHz.


1971 - Opened on VHF.


NAVTEX services still operational, operated by the MCA.

STONEHAVEN RADIO/GND

1942 - Opened as GND on 500 kHz.


1942 - Opened on 2 MHz.


1951 - Opened on 1.6 MHz.


1981 - Opened on VHF.


1981 - Closed on 1.6 MHz.


1987 - Closed on 500 kHz.

WICK RADIO/GKR

1913 - Admiralty Station BYG opened.


1920 - Temporarily closed then re-opened by the GPO as Coast Station on 500 kHz and 1 MHz.


1921 - Became GKR.


1935 - Opened on 2 MHz.


1948 - Opened on HF.


1949 - Opened on 1.6 MHz.


1974 - Opened on VHF.


1977 - Closed on VHF.


1984 - Closed on 1.6 MHz and HF.




OBAN RADIO/GNE

1949 - Opened as GNE on 2 MHz.


1951 - Opened on 1.6 MHz.


1982 - Closed on 1.6 MHz and 2 MHz.


1990 - Opened on VHF, controlled from GPK.

ANGLESEY RADIO/GLV

1960 - Opened as GLV on 500 kHz and 2 MHz (successor to Seaforth Radio).


1967 - Opened on VHF.


1987 - Closed on 500 kHz and 2 MHz.


1987 - VHF controlled from GPK.

ILFRACOMBE RADIO/GIL

1955 - Opened on 2 MHz at Main Post Office (successor to Burnham Radio).


1959 - Opened as GIL on 500 kHz at purpose-built station.


1981 - Opened on VHF.


1986 - Closed on 500 kHz and 2 MHz.


1986 - VHF controlled from GNI.

PORTPATRICK RADIO/GPK

1905  - Opened by the Admiralty.


1915 - Admiralty callsign BYS opened.


1920 - Temporarily closed.


1921 - Re-opened by the GPO as GPK on 500 kHz and 1 MHz.


1939 - Opened on 2 MHz.


1951 - Opened on 1.6 MHz.


1975 - Opened on VHF


2000 - Closed on 30 June.


NAVTEX services still operational, operated by the MCA.